Cannabis can be complicated. We use over 1,200 slang words for cannabis, not to mention the tons of ways used to extract and consume it. Of these, dabbing can be the most intimidating, with its intricate equipment and blow torch (yes, a literal blow torch). But fear not - We’ve assembled a glossary of all the need-to-know dabbing and cannabis terminology so you can get baked with confidence.
Tools & Equipment
Culture & Lingo
- The very first squish of a bud, without intense heat or pressure. Extracts trichome crystals, yielding a translucent and super-potent rosin.
- Requires more heat and/or pressure to further extract rosin from plant material.
- Darker and less potent.
- The official dabbers holiday, celebrated on the 10th of July. The date was chosen since the inverted 710 appears to spell out “OIL.”
- A specific type of dab nail; the surface of a dab rig that holds a dab so it can be heated, vaporized, and inhaled.
- Bangers have a distinctive swan necked, flat bottom shape resembling a hammer (hence the name).
- Preferred by beginners since the flat bottom is easier to heat evenly.
- “Butane Hash Oil”
- Cannabis concentrate extracted using butane as a solvent.
- Butter, shadder, wax, etc. can all be BHO if butane is used as a solvent in the extraction process.
- A water pipe, usually glass, used to vaporize, filter, and inhale dried weed.
- Part of the dab rig that holds the concentrate or dried weed.
- Cannabis concentrate consisting of trichomes separated from the plant using an ice bath, agitation, and sieving.
- Sieving performed through a micron bag, AKA bubble bag.
- Solventless hash oil lightly heated and whipped, increasing aroma and providing a creamier texture that can be easier to dab.
- AKA cake batter, whipped rosin.
- Natural compounds produced by plants and animals.
- Contributes to a functioning endocannabinoid system in humans; vital for health.
- Plants that produce cannabinoids are superfoods; cannabis produces highest concentration.
- Accessory that restricts airflow around nails or bangers so dab is vaporized at a lower temperature.
- Preserves quality and flavor of cannabis concentrate.
- To overheat the dab rig.
- Example: “Agh, I just chazzed my banger!”
- Dry cannabis concentrate extracted using a solvent.
- Defined by its unique malleable texture that crumbles when handled.
- Versatile; used for more than dabbing.
- AKA honeycomb wax
- The act of inhaling vaporized dabs using a specially designed dabbing device.
- Component of a dab rig that’s inserted into the water pipe of a dab rig; used to heat a dab of cannabis oil so that it can be vaporized and inhaled.
- A glass pipe designed for vaporizing cannabis concentrates.
- Filters the vapor of a cannabis dab through water held in the base of the pipe.
- In addition to the central pipe, it requires a nail or banger, a dabber tool, and a heating device (i.e. a torch or e-nail).
- Concentrated hash oil, with high levels of THC.
- AKA wax, shatter, amber, honeycomb, budder.
- A pointed tool used to pick up a dab of cannabis concentrate and apply it to the heated surface of a dab rig.
- Rocks of crystallized THC.
- Cannabis oil that’s distilled and refined to isolate desired cannabinoids.
- Potent and versatile, distillate can be used to dab, vaporize, and as an ingredient in topicals and edibles.
- AKA Electronic Nail
- Device that uses electricity to consistently heat and vaporize a dabbing concentrate.
- A large dab.
- Uses hydrocarbon as an extraction solvent, isolating desired cannabinoids and terpenes from the plant.
- The connection size between the bowl and the downstem.
- Sticky and bulbous, filled with cannabinoids and terpenes; part of the trichome.
- AKA dry sift, dry shake, pollen, hash, hashish, keef, kif
- A primitive form of dabbing without the use of a rig.
- Freshly harvested cannabis is immediately flash frozen; subcritical temperature maintained throughout the extraction process to preserve precious terpenes. Live resin presents the highest concentration and most complex terpenes profiles of extracted cannabis; delivers elevated psychoactive experience due to high terpene interaction with THC.
- A Nylon mesh bag that filters cannabis oil from the plant; used when making rosin and bubble hash.
- AKA bubble bags
- Internal formation added to a bong or dab rig to further filter and cool cannabis’ vapor.
- The sound made when inhaling on a dab rig.
- AKA chugg
- Premium material for banger dishes because it withstands and retains heat with less risk of breaking.
- Preserves concentrate flavors better than other materials.
- Solventless extraction process, relying on varying degrees of heat and pressure to mechanically press out sappy or shatter-like substance from plant material.
- Can turn hash into dabbable oil.
- A single inhalation from a dab rig.
- Term for terpene and and cannabinoid rich extract.
- Solvent extracted cannabis extract.
- Brittle, glasslike texture is easy to handle when dabbing.
- Use of mechanical techniques rather than chemical solvents to separate cannabinoids and terpenes from plant materials.
- Plant essential oils that give aroma, flavor, and effects to cannabis strains.
- Enhances THC effects.
- Economical material used in dabbing equipment and tools. Dabbers should only use Grade 2 (medical and food grade) or higher.
- Aromatic, tiny hair-like growths on the cannabis flower; high concentration of THC and terpenes.
- Crystalized cannabinoids and terpenes; gives the flower a frosted appearance.
- AKA frosty weed, kief, ristal, hash, goshe
noun: Tool used to heat concentrate or plant material when dabbing.
verb: To overheat or burn the weed
- Part of the process for making bubble hash.
- A thick cannabis concentrate.